Friday, February 13, 2009
And the winners are...
Okay, so last week I mentioned that Groovy Superhero was nice enough to tag me for a blog award and that part of the deal was that I needed to tag five others. I also promised that I'd announce my picks "soon" and "soon" is now here. I'm not sure that everyone I've passed the award on to got my email telling them about it, but I don't want to drag this out any longer, so here we go.
This was really hard, by the way.
In alphabetical order:
1. Bully Says: Comics Oughta Be Fun! -- If you follow the comics blogosphere at all, you're very aware of Bully, but I know not everyone reading this does, so let me sum up. I picked Bully's blog specifically because he does focus on the fun of comics. But he manages to do that in a way that's not just blind "rah rah comics yay." He's not snarky or critical, but he also doesn't say that all comics are fun. He just chooses to highlight the ones that are. And though he acknowledges that some aren't, he doesn't spend a lot of time complaining about them.
2. Double O Section -- There are other spy blogs and sites that I also love (like the '60s-focused Spy Vibe), but this is my one-stop shop for general spy news. I'd be rather lost without Tanner's tirelessly faithful updating. I also love that he's so tightly focused on one genre. I seriously, seriously envy that.
3. Siskoid's Blog of Geekery -- Speaking of tireless. I can't tell you how much I admire Siskoid for his dedication to daily reviews along a single topic. First it was every single Star Trek episode (of all five series); now it's Star Trek comics and books. But as if that weren't enough, he also takes time to remind us of how cool a comic Rom was and to explain the bits about Doctor Who that most casual viewers don't get. And always in an entertaining way.
4. Slay, Monstrobot of the Deep!! -- When I said that I like Bully's non-complaining approach to comics, I wasn't implying that complaining is always bad. Not when it's as entertaining as Snell's approach to it. And not that that's all Snell does. Not by a long shot. Even when I disagree with him, I always enjoy reading what he has to say. Also: coolest blog title ever.
5. Title Undetermined -- My original plan was to give an award to this blog in general. It's a three-man show. Diamondrock is the most level-headed of the bunch and the workhorse for most of the posting. He's responsible for wonderful features like Thursday Night Thinking and other general think-pieces.
What originally drew me to the blog though was Azrael. I've been a big fan of his since Sword of Azrael and his mopey posts always make me smile. Sorry to take pleasure from your pitifulness, Jean Paul.
And then there's Doctor Polaris.
When Kalinara beat me to awarding Diamondrock, I figured I'd recognize one of the other fellas instead. I might should've chosen Azrael, but then I would've been denied the glory of reading this. It's nice to see such humble acceptance of praise.
Congrats to everyone and thanks for making Internet Time a Special Time.