A while back I posted about the group of fans who are hoping to get the rights to continue Firefly. Here's a much more likely report on the future of the series from Joss Whedon himself:
"No, there haven't been any overtures from the CW as regards a SereniFly spin-off. I haven't even heard the orchestra tuning up. But if they happen to come calling, I do know what I would do:
1) In order to keep the show cost efficient, we would get rid of a few things we don't need, like spaceships, floors, and Jewel. (You thought I was gonna say 'costumes', didn't you? Porn guy.)
2) Nathan is busy making movies*, but since I don't want new cast members, everybody in the cast would just move over one. Jewel (she's back!) would play Mal, Ron would play Kaylee, Morena would play Book, and so on.
3) People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
4) The actors can make up their dialogue. I'm bushed, and they're all funny, and the hell with it. Maybe I'll give them a premise to work off of, like "You're all in trouble" or "Wash has a thing". They could maybe light it too.
5) Klingons, but not alien Klingons. But still Klingons."
*Ain't It Cool News is passing on a rumor that Mal is making White Noise 2 with Katee Sackhoff, but who knows how true that is.