- As the climate continues to change and the world gets deadlier for humanity, a couple of Ukranian designers have conceived what they believe to be a structure so sturdy that God himself couldn't sink it. I know I've heard that somewhere before... Bold claims aside, I'd totally live in that place.
People vs Nature: The Swim
- A guy from Texas is planning to swim across the Pacific Ocean, from Tokyo to San Francisco. He's already made it across the Atlantic once.
People vs Nature: The Biopic
- James Cameron is producing a film about "the love between free divers Francisco 'Pipin' Ferraras and his wife Audrey Mestre, and the record-setting attempt that claimed Mestre’s life." Martin Campbell (Casino Royale, Green Lantern) will direct.
People vs Nature: The Tour
- If you missed out on that Groupon trip to the Titanic wreck, you can still book a similar trip for regular price. Deep Ocean Expeditions will be happy to take you down to 10,000 feet or deeper. All you need is between $30,000 to $375,000 depending on location. The Titanic costs around $60,000, but you can get to the Bismark later this year for less than $48,000. The most expensive one is called 20,000 Leagues Under the Atlantic and allows tourists to "traverse the North Atlantic basin, picking out an undersea route from Europe to North America."
Remember those photos of the Titanic wreck?
- You can own them (and other cool images from the site) if you get the April issue of National Geographic.
So just what is down there at the bottom of the ocean?
- It's fun to think about, but no one knows. That's why James Cameron is going.
The US Navy wants Robo-Subs
- I mean, who doesn't? But the Navy's likely to get theirs.
Why giant squids have giant eyes
- Atomic surgery explains it and uses Gary Gianni illustrations to help.
- Unfortunately, not that kind. But some scientists think that islands that float on the water may be responsible for the biodiversity on Madagascar.
Speaking of isolated islands
- They don't get more isolated than Tristan da Cunha, roughly equidistant between South America and Africa in the middle of the Atlantic.
- A company called tentsile has invented a cross between a tent and a hammock "to provide separation from wildlife, including insects, snakes and other predators but also from sand storms, earth tremors, cold or wet ground, debris or contamination." I do most of my camping at the Hyatt, but I still want one.
The River could join Terra Nova at Netflix
- Like with Terra Nova, nothing's signed yet, but Netflix is thinking about it. The River hasn't been officially cancelled at ABC yet, but c'mon. You know it's going to be.
If you want to watch something about a river...
- I recommend Tarzan and the Great River, and tell you why at Flick Attack. Short version: it's a cross between Tarzan, Bond, The African Queen, and Apocalypse Now.
Tarzan trading cards
- This is going to be a busy year for Tarzan merchandise. Wish we could get a new movie or something though.
Reading List: Becky Cloonan's The Mire
- Know what I love more than comics about decrepit castles in swamps? Nothing.
Jurassic Park 3D
- You knew it was coming. Now you know when: 19 July 2013.