Tuesday, July 21, 2015
Ranking the First 15 Bond Movies
We've finished another five Bond movies and wrapped up Roger Moore, so it's time to check in again and see how the films stack up so far. As usual, we'll do it two different ways.
The first list is based on the accumulated rankings of the individual parts I've been measuring in this project: women, villains, theme song, cold open, gadgets, henchmen, and title sequence. There's a complicated, Top Secret algorithm for figuring that out and it assigns a total points value to each movie. Here's how they fall when measured that way.
1. Thunderball (127 pts)
2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (85 pts)
3. From Russia with Love (69 pts)
4. Goldfinger (55 pts)
5. The Spy Who Loved Me (51 pts)
6. Never Say Never Again (46 pts)
7. The Man with the Golden Gun (41 pts)
8. A View to a Kill (38 pts)
9. For Your Eyes Only (36 pts)
10. TIE: Live and Let Die and Moonraker (33 pts each)
The second list is based on my gut reaction. It's how I personally feel about the movies, taking into account crucial elements that I'm not ranking like plots, actors, tone, and pacing.
1. From Russia with Love
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Dr. No
5. For Your Eyes Only
6. The Spy Who Loved Me
7. Never Say Never Again
9. The Man with the Golden Gun
10. Live and Let Die