- I watched a total of 478 films (two less than last year) for an average of just under 40 a month or just over 9 a week.
- The first movie I saw last year was a rewatch of Greta Gerwig's Little Women.
- The last movie I saw last year was the new Disney+ adaptation of Black Beauty.
- My most-watched film last year was The Innocents (1961) thanks to my new obsession with Henry James' The Turn of the Screw (and just how excellent The Innocents is).
- Only 35 (or 7.3%) of the movies I saw were actually from 2020. That's down a couple percent from 2019.
- 264 of them (or 55.2%) were films I watched for the first time (or at least had never recorded on Letterboxd before). That's about the same ratio as 2019.
- I went on a big Ginger Rogers binge thanks to TCM this year, so she was my most-watched actor with 18 films.
- Other actors I watched a lot of were Clarence Nash (thanks to all the Donald Duck shorts available on Disney+), Jane Russell (another actor I binged on TCM), and Anthony Daniels (thanks to a Star Wars rewatch last January). I watched a lot of Vincent Price and Christopher Lee, too, but not as much as those other folks.
- My most watched director was Alfrend Hitchcock thanks to an intentional binge of some of his stuff over the summer. I watched 15 of his films and no other director came close to hitting my eyes that many times last year.
- Walt Disney was my top producer at 30 films, including shorts.
- But Disney was not the studio whose films I watched the most of. That would be RKO Radio Pictures at 56, thanks to so much time with TCM. 20th Century Fox and Universal were tied for second place with 34 films each and Walt Disney and Warner Brothers were right behind them.
- Charles Dickens was my top writer at 9 films thanks mostly to Christmas Carol adaptations, but also 1946's Great Expectations and 2019's The Personal History of David Copperfield starring Dev Patel.
- Twin Peaks: The Return was the thing I saw that's most liked by other Letterboxd users. Letterboxd is wonky about including some TV series and not others, so having my most liked thing be a TV show is an anomaly.
- To no one's surprise, the thing I watched that was least liked by other Letterboxd users was Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie’s Island Adventure.
- Greta Gerwig's Little Women is the most popular movie that I saw last year.
- The most obscure movie I watched was a horrible 1920 silent film called The Leopard Woman that sounds like it should be about a jungle hero, but is actually about an evil spy in Cairo who really sucks at her job.
Thursday, January 14, 2021
Movie-Watching in 2020
my activity on Letterboxd.